View Single Post
Old 27th January 2017, 06:32 PM   #16
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
Today where the time of duels is long gone it is difficult for us to make clear statements, how they were fighting in the real life...
Well said, Roland ...
Surely we are all aware that (school) fencing is one thing, (honor) dueling is another, and sword fighting in combat is way far different than those two, even if there aren't period video clips to demonstrate.
... From what i wonder whether fighting in combat depends, not so much in sword characteristics, but in the man (or woman) handling it. I fear that subtle differences in blade configurations are not so convincing as their effective brutality, so to say, notwithstading primary factors like weight and length but again, all those transcended by handlers not minding much about virtual modus operandi to hit their target. The Roman gladius was a short weapon, the Falcata Iberica was also rather short, yet it was narrated to be a vicious weapon.
All this to gain courage to say that the Colichemarde in its original configuration might be a fashionable fencing or dueling thing but not an actual combat resource in itself; maybe because i humbly find that its unestethical look is not compensated by being a combat resistent weapon.
But don't hit me, i am only the piano player .
And by the way Roland, your example, be it transitional or not, has by far a more balanced appearance
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote