View Single Post
Old 1st February 2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely ! This guy could kill ya just by looking at him
While the example I showed is of course very refined and using spear type opposites for the parry, it is more like a madu which is the pairs of joined buffalo horns typically with a buckler/shield at the center over the hold loop. These often had spikes from the boss or center of the shield.

Another form as you describe was in the form of one of these but with opposing blades and no shield but a projecting forward blade at the center.
I think it was one Oriental Arms had years ago.
Another form of this group of Indian arms related is the 'saintie'.
I hadn't yet found an example pertinent enough to post, hoping to find more with the prominent hold loop.

As I mentioned, the Thugs/Thuggee were a most mysterious and deadly group in India (I have a thread on them from December 2007) but the only 'weapon' they had was the ceremonial pickaxe with which they dug graves for their victims. As far as is known none of the heads of these is known to currently exist and no examples were ever properly depicted.
These groups were eliminated by the British by about 1850.

While your weapon here is indeed 'rugged' looking, as has been noted, it looks sufficient for actual use and is certainly far from a 'tourist' type item.
What I might suggest is that Indian armourers often were producers of innovative creations which could show influences of other known weapons.
What this reminds me of is a 'test' piece made to show the skills of the maker, mindful of my high school days in metal shop (WAY too many years ago!) where such tests pieces were forged scribes with a loop type handle and the iron 'twist' which was the primary feature testing your skills.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote