View Single Post
Old 13th October 2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Omani Gun Belts. Bedouin Martini Henry Ammo Belts.

Omani Gun Belts have suddenly become very scarce. This is a combination of normal wear and tear and gun belts being bought out ... simply snapped up by tourists and visitors . There were never that many around so the purchasing impact on the region has been pretty devastating. I have an excellent leathersmith who if tasked could produce fine belts and superb silver stitching etc however there is a bit more we can do to save some of the cracked worn and delapidated antique belts ... I have heard a few good treatments for leather including banana skins, coconut oil, saddle soap, olive oil and a few others but I have a bottle of Indian hair oil ! made from flowers which is excellent for leather. Inside the belts cartridge slots there tend to be abuild up of brass oxide which is probably something like verdigris that is both toxic if swallowed and has a drying effect on the leather. Taking it all off rather removes the patina so perhaps taking off half of it is better...? These belts normally sport a small pocket at both ends for small change. Silver adornment is a combination of either some or all of the foillowing : silver cartridgecase shaped kohl container with chain and applicator(for blackening the eyes~ a majical see further makeup) silver coins or silver plates over the money wallets, silver tweezers and leather spikes, silver pipe and tobacco holder, silver earwax spoons. When the project is dry(tomorrow) I will post a photo of the complete set up. Ibrahiim.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 13th October 2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: text
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote