View Single Post
Old 21st December 2014, 01:19 PM   #21
Henk

Alan,

Thank you for your comment.

I wanted to make the misunderstanding clear. Actually not for myself. As a matter of fact, in the comment you wrote just to me you are completely right. Better, i could have written this by myself.

Please Alan, do understand that i highly appreciate you as a person, a fellow forum member and last but not least, for your skills.

Certainly you're right.
This is important:- if something is written it is vital that the words written should be read and understood, the words written should not have meanings read into them, nor should they be interpreted in any other way than the way they are written.

Maybe it is the wrong attitude but when i read the threads on the forum and i'm sure many members will do it in the same way, i read and look for pleasure, certainly willing to learn but not studying the comments on each character. But of course i read carefully so that i understand what is written about the presented item, perhaps missing some minor details.

For the third time, this is what I wrote:

"To my way of thinking this sort of behaviour comes dangerously close to the behaviour one would expect of a Troll."

At no time did call Semar a troll.

Yes Alan, I noticed you did. But when i translate it in dutch and adress it to a dutch person, not directly being aware of the internet jargon, and believe me, a lot of people are not known with internet jargon, it will be taken as an direct insult. Although you explained clearly what you ment and despite the fact above in the first quote, i must admitt that i frowned my eyebrows when i read it for the first time in post #13.

There is no shame in seeking clarification of the meaning of a word. I get paid for writing English, and even though I am a native English speaker and have had very long practice in my use of the language, I still regularly use a dictionary or thesaurus, or even consult Dr. Google when I am writing or reading.

Alan, when i'm writing also for my profession at school i do the same. When i read posts on the forum or articles that really litterally should be understood and concern me personally, yes, i study it very carefully.

I only wanted to make clear the intentions of Semar.
As we say here in Holland, we didn't all studied at the university and have a masterdegree.
When Semar would translate your writing with a dictionary or thesaurus in combination with google, it will cost him days work and even then you can ask yourself the question, is the translation readable and understandable as it was originally written? I doubt it.

When i put you in the same situation as Semar and i would send you a text in dutch, i would be very curious to your translation and your understanding of the text.
But you are well educated Alan, and that makes a difference.

Please, let us enjoy and study weapons and not spoil our time to these conversations.

I do appreciate you highly Alan.

Regards, Henk
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote