View Single Post
Old 30th October 2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Martin and Mark. Not being a linguist, I was not entirely convinced of this inscription in Ge'ez either, but it did not appear Arabic, nor actually does it seem to conform to any particular 'script'. The suggestion of being applied by illiterate 'craftsmen' is entirely well placed, and seems to correspond to the use of 'Thuluth' motif during the Mahdist period from Sudan and often even as far as Niger.
In viewing the hilt form while researching on this, the more modern (early 20th century) forms of takouba seem to have the tall conical pommel shape, and the crossguard of block form as well seems somewhat similar stylewise. Despite these free associations, I did not feel comfortable suggesting any Tuareg connection, as the hilt on this is certainly not as dimensional and seems more profiled.

I think the note by Martin about several swords of this type in the Tunisia area, or virtually any number of locations along the North African trade port regions. As I mentioned, the work on the mounts seem to resemble Arabic work from Yemen and Hadramaut, and the profound trade between southern Arabia and North Africa really makes this difficult without other known examples to compare.

I think we are on track with the blade though, and still believe it is early, probably late 17th to early 18th century, with the deep stamp suggesting Italian origin. As it seems agreed, the cross and orb and the 'script' seem native applied.

As always, more research!! and in discovering what something is ,often entails finding out what it is not, thus even negative observations are most important in mention I'd really like to figure out where this hilt is from !!

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote