View Single Post
Old 14th June 2012, 11:22 PM   #15
spiral

Ahh this piece again! I too have seen & handled it a few months ago... It is certanly interesting!

My perception in hand was a recently buffed mono steel blade from earlyish 20th century combined with an interesting cast head of some form, also combined with a badly cut & decorated piece of sheet brass pinned through with a single copper boat building nail or similar. It seemed to wrap over the bolster rather than fit to it. I presumed the cast head came from some other non Khyber sword item, added to the blade & with the sheet added to pull the design together..

I guess your at least the 4th owner in 4 months which isnt so bad as at least two of the others were proffesional dealers who etched it with ferric chrloride hoping to find wootz... {I am sure incidently there both members of this forum to. } Then the acid wasnt neutralised to allow it to badley re patina { or rust.} slighty before resale to the next hopefull dealer or collector. , till finaly it reached ebay & your good self.

The handle is loose & rateley on the single nail pivot. I assumed the marrige of 3 parts was probably western due to the lack of traditional feeling. But certanly still dramatic! But I could be wrong & indeed perhaps thats the current level of some "chicken street" work, I dont know Ive never been there.

I thought it was an interesting piece , very unique head on it & certanly a "massive" piece, its value? Thats up to the person who pays for it I guess?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote