View Single Post
Old 21st November 2023, 05:40 PM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As with most things, variation and exception are a constant, and with the Solingen situation, it was a manufacturing center for blades, which involved many makers, shops and artisans. Naturally there may have been cases of specific completed swords in which entire decorated blades were mounted there. However, this, in my opinion was one of the exceptions.

To the case in point, I dont believe that the decorative 'rose' images inscribed on the blade spines at the forte were ubiquitous enough in such blades which might have been applied in Solingen to designate them as a 'Solingen' affectation. In most of the cases by the examples shown, they seem to be aligned with French officers swords of 18th c into 19th along with armies associated with the French. As we agree, the blades on these were likely acquired by Caissagnard, and certainly other furbishers, for mounting.

If in some cases, these cutlers had found artisans in Solingen to apply particular decoration, this would not be surprising, however this would be an incidental case, and not supportive of these decorations being a collectively used decoration or certainly not a certain makers indicator from Solingen in specific.

The 18th century was a time where there was a fascination with mysticism, the occult, magic and of course talismanic symbolism oddly combined with superstitious notions and religious invocations. These kinds of elements were attractive to Europeans who regarded the exotica of oriental fashions, weaponry and symbolism as formidable and even fearsome. This was what inspired the concepts of light cavalry, particularly hussars, and led to the notorious 'pandours' of the Austrian armies of the mid 18th c.
These forces were primarily Hungarian and Croatian, and adopted the colorful oriental fashion and arms, which with their known depredations rendered them much feared.

Hungarian swords, much as Polish, often had themes in their decoration of military regalia, arms, and religious symbolism, as prevalent in the Holy Roman Empire. The 'arm in the cloud' notably religious and becoming a familiar heraldic charge, became such an element copied to the west in France, and Germany. Here I would note the use of the 'Turks head', the turbaned figure also used in East Europe, and was among the prevalent element in the Caissagnard themes. The sun and moon figures also came from East Europe, and were actually ancient devices from early tribal histories in Hungary, though I cannot resist the similarity to the 'tarot' card art. ...well aligned with the occult themes of the 18th c.

So these decorative blade conventions traveled through Europe of course including cases in Solingen but most blades made there were simply marked with punzones. The famed 'running wolf' of Passau, began used on blades by contract to certain Passau armorers; the 'ANDREA FERARA' for blades primarily consigned to Scotland (many to England as well); the SAHAGUM (in variation) mostly to Northern Europe.
Many blades used spurious Spanish punzones along with marks intended for espaderos del Rey, incongruently which along with incorrect wording, spelling etc. belied the Solingen origins of these blades.

I am far from claiming metallurgical knowledge or metal processing, but the use of Indian steel (wootz) was indeed widespread, but not necessarily used as such in Viking swords, which were actually mostly from the Rhineland using pattern welded processes. While a great deal of credit is given to key ore deposits around Toledo, Solingen etc. much of the steel used in forging was imported in ingots from locations in Sweden, as one example. It is not to say iron deposits were not present in or around these centers, just that the smelting processes were often supplanted by imported steel in ingots.

These are mostly just my understanding of various aspects of topics we are discussing, and as always, exchanging of these kinds of details give us a better perspective in reaching at least somewhat more comprehensive scope on them.
This along with the remarkable examples being shown is outstanding!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote