View Single Post
Old 30th December 2004, 11:27 PM   #9
wilked aka Khun Deng

Talking

Don't know why the contradiction in terms however I have my suspicions. Thai's love words that rhyme or have a jingle such as many of the sayings they have "Khrai kai kai gai ti kai" (who sell's chicken eggs at the camp) it all sounds like the same word when said fast and means nothing they just like to say it, another favorite of the Thai soldiers is "mia ma mia mee mia mi ma mia mi mee" (if my wife is with me I have a wife, if my wife isn't with me I don't have a wife) even the women crack up at this one -go figure. I think they used the term krabi just because it flows with krabong.

I've now asked 5 Thai Nationals, 3 gave me the same explaination I have already passed on and drew pictures to verify the other two were unaware of any difference. I suspect this is probably the same case with many cultures while they know the word they don't know the varites implied by the word. I know many in America that could not tell you the difference between a saber and an a scimitar but they know they are both swords.
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote