View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2016, 04:40 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsendaday
Harry, I was bidding on this one myself, but it got too expensive for me. I was really curious about this one as well and its good that a member of this forum got it so we can discuss it here. For all it's similarities to a Caucasian shashka it was never one. I am basing my opinion on the outer side of the handle: as it can bee seen it has a little bump just before the cross-guard and no shashka Caucasian or Russian has that. This bump is not added, because the blade tang has the same form. In most Caucasian and early Russian shashkas the outer edge of the handle is flat and continues almost seamlessly into the blade. Some of them have a handle that is slightly larger than the blade, but still there are no bumps or protrusions on them. The later Russian and Soviet shashka handles have three parts and put together they are a bit larger than the blade but still follow the same outline. IMHO this sword was thought and made this way and not modified. I think this was an experiment to incorporate a crossguard to a shashka type sword for the protection, as the Russians did with their Dragoon shashkas. Below are the photos of a
1. Caucasian shashka handle (Silver)
2. Russian shashka handle
3. Russian Dragoon shashka handle (with a guard)

Arsendaday,
VERY well observed!! and that did not even register as I viewed these pictures!
That unusual 'flare which sweeps outward to correspond to the guard is also congruent with the tang suggesting of course that the blade and hilt was an intended match, rather than a reworked shashka.
As you have well noted, on Caucasian shashkas this feature of the tang is not really normal.......nor why would it be?

This of course lends to the idea that perhaps this could be a prototype or one off form intended for ethnically oriented units in Ottoman forces, and that would make this a particularly exciting sword .

Earlier I had noted a certain type of sabre with an Ottoman style (pistol grip) in the style of the familiar kilij/pala, but with a fully intended stirrup type knuckleguard in European style.
I will try to get an illustration but I have been told these were apparently specifically for Ottoman forces in Hungarian context. These have occurred in notable numbers over the years, so we know they were an actual form so intended for this type of dissemination.

Kubur, good note on the 'V' marking, which as you suggest could be a regimental or 'rack' number. Could this be such a number related to one of these prototype situations where a select number of these were produced?

Harry, getting old enough to retire does not mean you're an old geezer!!
I stopped collecting just before retiring but still fascinated with studying the weapons I have and those others find, as you have done here.
This sword is a great example of the importance of keeping our studies going....so great job!!!

Estcrh......Im gonna find that term!!! its drivin me nuts.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote