View Single Post
Old 14th March 2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Martin Lubojacky

Hi, I did not think about the hole from this point of view -what Ron writes is of course true and it is the most free and easy explanation.

As far as insects eating wood, textile and e s p e c i a l l y horn are concerned: After a years of a bad experience I do this. I put the item to the quarantine when I bring them home, especially if they are directly from Africa. As soon as possible I bring them to the irradiation place (which is used e.g. by the museums, also importers of spices etc) - I have good luck it is near from Prague. When the hidden eggs and embryos of insect (also mould - it depends on the time of irradiation) are damaged by radiation (damaged just for this one moment - it could be attacked again), further conservation (for the future) by some liquid solution is recommendable - but it could also damage the patina on the surface, so you have to consider it. If you have only a few items with horn parts, which are shown off, than I would give it the deep six - you would see the changes caused by insects immediately and you can act. But if you put the things to some deposit, then it is good to preserve them in good faith (because you could be surprised when you unpack them one year later).
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote