View Single Post
Old 4th January 2017, 04:14 PM   #24
Tony PP

Default Maximilian helmet.

I like the look of this helmet. Somebody has put a lot of effort in making it. But it gets let down by poorly applied ageing. The exterior marks are as others have said -- Not correct. I would also question the inside patina, from the pictures it looks like it has been rusted artificially. The photographs appear to show bright steel in places under the rust. Next, the visor. Hard to tell from the pictures but the steel looks a little thin, I would also question the burrs left on the inside of the chisel cut openings, not something you would expect from a true artisan. Last bit, the visor construction seems to be overlaid steel plates but the exterior has a shaped but smooth finish. So has this been welded and filed down? Of course fire welding has been around for a long while but this requires heat and hammering but I can see no sign of this on the plates. OK, that's me done--- Age, I don't think it has any. Just my feeling and I am not a expert and have never played with a helmet of this supposed era.
Tony PP is offline   Reply With Quote