View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Indianajones

Default Origin Ilongot swords

Hello everybody, as a new member I perhaps should introduce myself quickly as I am a long time collector of N.-Philippine artifacts (not only arms), but have collected Borneo before. Perhaps will treat you on some pics of my collection some time. I have also traveled many times to the Mountain province to several tribes and including one time to the Ilongottribe and was able to interview two leaders.

The Ilongot tribe is one of the luzon (N.-Phil.) tribes that quite appeals to me and are quite mysterious. The shapes they use and items they make are so different to most other tribal in the Philippines and also their looks.
And that is what wonders me so much!

Where do these strange shapes come from?? Example; their headhunting bolo is quite chunky and has a very usable shape, but than the scabbard has an extension that makes the whole look like an 'elbow' (or so). An examle of such was just traded here on Ethno.A&A a week ago! (asked permit of the maker to use d picture here in this thread; as I dont know the current owner of this sword)

I have actually found a clue to where the strange shape comes from in a picture I found online made in a museum in Iloilo, Philippines. In the middle one can see a couple of blades with also very curved scabbards and hilts like Tenegres! It said there these weapons where from the 'Mondo-tribe' (not much heard of by me). I've never seen these before!

Does anybody here has a blade with that kind of very curved scabbard or another Ilongot bolo like that?
Another enigma is the shields they have; apart from one in the (online collection of the) Burke museum, I have never seen another one in the 'wild'. Such a peculiar shape! But thats perhaps another thread?!
Perhaps there are other Ilongot-tribe collectors who have the same questions or perhaps answers /theories etc? Love to hear them!

Got much more (pics) to share but am also curious what this thread hopefully will 'bring to daylight' by other members.

Picture included; 2x pics of the Ilongot bolo traded here on Ethno.A&A just last week (got permit from maker of pic; dont know who has the bolo now)
Pic taken from internet from the Iloilo-museum (site is on picture)
Pic which most of you might know of a group of Ilongot warriors with shields, bows, spears, hornbill-headset (right on head), blades etc.
also added is a pic from the Ilongot section of my private collection. (wait til you see the rest . . . .some day !)
Attached Images

Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote