View Single Post
Old 14th January 2011, 05:23 AM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is indeed a kaskara from Darfur, and likely of the period of Ali Dinar (Ali Dinar Zakariyya Muhammed al Fadl, 1856-1916). Actually the kaskaras with this hilt form with discoid pommel with filagree edges, domed pommel cap and silver repousse grip with 'harlequin' or diamond pattern motif are quite well established during Ali Dinars reign (1898-1916) and described as such in "Kaskara From Northern Darfur, Sudan" (Graham Reed, JAAS, Vol.XII, #3, March, 1987).

Ali Dinar was of the Keira Dynasty of rulers, and of Tama descent, with that monarchy suspended after the Egyptian conquest in 1874. After the Mahdists defeat at Omdurman in 1898, a de facto state was formed in Darfur with him as the Sultan, and the British appointed him agent for them. Ali Dinar was however of the Senussi Brotherhood, who was powerfully in league with the Ottomans and Germans and Turkish governors in Benghazi. As WWI came in 1914, the intrigue with Senussi following and the German alliance with the Ottomans naturally led eventually to Ali Dinar being declared outlaw as he led insurgencies against the British.
A British punitive expedition was mounted, with Ali Dinar being killed near Jebel Mara in Central Darfur October 7th, 1916. The only known photograph of Ali Dinar was at his death (attached).

I did research on one of these kaskara attributed also to having come from the armoury of Ali Dinar about 11 years ago. It was of course of the distinct form, the characteristic X on the crossguard, flared quillons, harlequin repousse grip and filagree discoid pommel. There was the usual puff type festoon attached around the pommel base.

In "Introduction to Islamic Arms" by Anthony North, p.30 (fig. 23 B) there is a kaskara attributed to Ali Dinar, which has gold grip in this pattern and the blade is heirloom believed of 18th c. This is also believed to be one of three possible swords which may have been his, and probably the one listed as Victoria & Albert Museum. In checking with Mr. North, he stated the sword was with its owner in Malaysia at that point.

Another of Dinars swords is said to be Royal Armouries Inv. XXVI.112S, and I do not have further notes on that.
The other is at the British Museum (#1932, 10-14.1) but is believed captured at Omdurman and of the Ali Dinar 'style'.

I interviewed a man who was a Fur, and now in the U.S. and actually knew one of Ali Dinars grandsons, but as Dinar had 120 sons, the grandson had little information to add to the research when I spoke to him by phone.

Returning to the Darfur kaskara at hand, the etched devotional panel on the blade is most interesting and it will be great to hear more on translation. I believe the blade on this may more likely be of Italian origin as many of these Darfur blades seem to have been (Reed, fig. L1 notes a possible Italian orig.). This would seem quite likely as the Senussi contacts in the branches in Libya would have had considerable contact with Italian trade with the occupying forces there.

In my opinion, these type kaskaras were widely produced in this period, but in this quality it is of course supposed that these would have been for prominant tribal leaders and chiefs (Omda). It would be presumed that many of these weapons would have carried inscriptions pertaining to Ali Dinar, and would not necessarily be his weapons, but associated with him and his forces. Regardless, these kaskaras are in my opinion the most desirable, especially when they can be attributed to this form and of the period.

Best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote