View Single Post
Old 24th November 2006, 01:09 AM   #187
Gt Obach

Hi Chris

you got it
-- we really need to test more ancient samples..... ... despite the couple studies that were done... i still have hope for some good martensite structures.....(i've been optimistic about it for years...

there are a couple of accounts that talk about oil quenching... ( yes, i know words are not proof enough for either of us...but they are interesting to read. )

Massalski account : "When the blade has cooled, it is quenched in boiling hemp seed oil. Some armourers add a little grease and bone marrow. The wooden tub which contains the oil is sufficiently large for the blade to go in easily. The oil is heated by plunging two or three pieces of red hot iron into it. During this time the blade is given a heat between red and white hot, and then plunged into the bath. If it is a dagger it is held flat; if it is a sabre, it is quenched little by little, beginning by the end of the cutting edge, holding the latter toward the bath. This manoeuvre is repeated until the oil stops smoking, which proves that the blade has cooled. After quenching the blade is always soiled with burnt oil. This dirt is removed by heating it enough to set light to a piece of wood, and by rubbing with a rag from a bedsheet. It is at this time too that imperfections are corrected and the blade is straightened if it is out of true. After 5 or 6 heats the blade leaves the fire quite ready, i.e it then only has to be cleaned with sand, polished with emery and mottled by pickling in iron sulphate. "

I've got others just got to dig them up...

also... one last thing... I'm really not sure that the air quenched wootz would be able to cut a cannon chain... but i could be wrong..... it may cut flesh well but i'm not sure about the other... what i do know is that air cool wootz is much much harder to get a nice even etch on... ...

take care
Greg
Gt Obach is offline   Reply With Quote