Thread: Kerala knife
View Single Post
Old 13th March 2006, 10:12 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Interesting!!!

Hi Tim:

Great knife -- very interesting mix of cultures. The hilt appears brass, and the cross guard looks European in style to me. But the blade is definitely Burmish. That koftgari style is typical of Burmese decoration, with the scrolls and spirals being characteristic (what is sometimes called "Burmese roccoco").

I'm going to speculate about this one because you mentioned trade between Burma and Madras (Chennai). I think this is a Burmese blade originally, that was later reworked and rehilted for a European. And I will suggest that the European was most likely Portuguese or British. Portuguese mercenaries were prominent in Burma, dating from before the Anglo-Burmese Wars in the 19th C., and of course the British assumed increasing influence in Burma during the 19th C. as a result of those conflicts. The remodeling of the blade in a "Bowie" style, the addition of a European-style cross guard, and a sculpted bronze hilt suggest adaptation for a Westerner; the wooden sheath is evocative of the leather European sheaths with silver mounts top and bottom seen in the second half of the 19th C.

All this suggests to me a late 19th C. origin for this interesting knife. Thanks for showing it to us.

Regards,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote