View Single Post
Old 7th July 2014, 12:55 PM   #47
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander
The price wasn't too bad, less than $100, and I'm actually fairly happy with it as a hand made decorative piece. The auction description said it was made of vesi wood, I wonder if it really is.

I've uploaded the photo from the auction and it looks like it's propped up on the same rock as several of the clubs from your post. I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to assume any club with a similar picture was made in Indonesia as well. The "Made in Indonesia" sticker is very small and lightly glued to the bottom of the handle so an unscrupulous seller could easily remove it.
i found a similar one on e-pray. unfortunately i did not find your post before that. reasonably nice display club, evident rough carved tool marks, stained black then carved to show a light brown wood underneath. sold as 'samoan' and again, vesi wood. i suspect the wood probably would look better unblacked as a nice grain appears in the carved bits. 20 inches, hemp wrapped grip. 354 grams. luckily fairly cheap, especially compared to the other offerings of hawaiian shark toothed koa wood.

nice 'made in indonesia' sticker. easily removed. surprised hawaiian vendor didn't bother to remove it, while he needs to update his online descriptions, at least he left the sticker on. i think i'll stick to maori clubs for the moment

i'll do a bit more caveating of my emptors in future.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote