View Single Post
Old 13th May 2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Thank you, Gentlemen!

Battara - I think that someone must have applied a light etch along the way as while some areas are quite smooth and 'shiny,' others have a flatter, duller appearance. I do not know, but I suspect someone may have buffed it up a bit, lightly etched and then did something to darken. I always suspect this when I find black residue upon oiling and that is true here. However, adequate restraint appears to have been applied and the surface is not that different from other Moro weapons including my panabas and a few kris. Other than the two pinpoint depressions in the center of the disc areas on either side of the hilt that are consistent with narrow tack holes, no depressions or other traces have been left in the wood or finish of what was there. One central woven rattan band over the plaited area at the center of the grip is absent.

Ian - Am I correct that the darker shade of the blade along the edge on both sides, poorly represented in my pictures, is indicating the edge hardening?

drak2k - I have had some great finds and even a rare 'eureka' at the Brimfield flea market over the years. These have usually not been through the more specialized arms and militaria dealers (where quality and condition often do not justify the price for what interests me) but rather through more generalized dealers. This, of course, means that you must take some time to check out booths that may harbor what you are seeking. To take in all the major fields will actually take four days (Tuesday - Friday) though many dealers migrate from field to field to be there for the opening rush as each opens in turn, so you will recognize a lot of repeats. The market really suffered in the wake of 2008 but is clearly growing back.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote