View Single Post
Old 20th November 2006, 05:05 PM   #163
Ann Feuerbach

Hi all,
Bulat is good, but pulad (phulad) is better, because bulat comes from pulad or a related term and variations of the word pulad can be found in many languages. I did an etymological study of the words. The earliest use of the term pulad is a 6th century AD text. It may have originally came from Sanskrit or Avesten (which had a common root language). In sanskrit languages the prefix pu means pure or purify, while there are hundreds of words for iron in the languages of India including loha, lauha, etc. Pu loha (meaning pure or purified iron) or such was probably the origin for the word. I have checked this theory out with Sanskrit scholars and they agree with this.

I have no problem with the use of the term wootz when refering specifially to Indian steel, but the word assumes a geographic location, which can be inaccurate and assuming. I prefer the term crucible Damascus steel to prevent assumptions.

On a related note: If I read one more reference in the news, including the Nature article and National Geographic news (where the author even contacted me but took no notice to what I said) to the process being only from India, being lost, and references to crusaders and Damascus, Syria I am going to scream!
Ann Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote