View Single Post
Old 20th November 2006, 12:35 AM   #159
Chris Evans

Hi Ian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Chris:

It's unclear to me what properties carbon nanotubes and nanowires might convey to steel. .
I learned and practiced my metallurgy before the advent of so called nano-technology, so I confess absolute and total ignorance about the effects of sub microscopic structural components on the mechanical properties of steels, indeed any material. At this stage, all I can do is apply some basic logic to evaluate the evidence presented. But first I must read the full paper.

Quote:
The authors suggest that such structures might explain the extaordinary cutting properties and strength of wootz versus other steels. Since we are having trouble here agreeing that wootz per se did have such special properties, I would put the discovery of these microstructures in wootz as interesting observations deserving further attention, but far from conclusive evidence that they convey special properties to wootz and not other steels. .
I thinks that we can safely accept that Wootz was, if properly forged and heat treated, at least potentially a notch above other contemporary steels. GT Obach's experience is agood example, and even 50yrs ago it was talked about (by metallurgists) as an outstanding early steel.

However, you raise the same points that I immediately thought of, namely that the same sub-microscopy structures may be found in other steels and may not be exclusive to Wootz.

Additionally, I have yet to see (it may have been published but I haven't seen it) comprehensive mechanical test results of Wootz vs more primitive steels, not to mention an exhaustive analysis of the mechanical loads that a sword edge is expected to cope with. Hardness I have seen, but not the other properties - We need this data before we can make valid comparisons. If it turns out that Wootz did indeed have superiors mechanical qualities over good quality primitive steel, then we can start exploring the contribution, if any, of its sub-microscopic structure.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote