View Single Post
Old 20th June 2015, 04:46 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While these are admittedly out of my usual range of study, I must say this is a fascinating example, and has rekindled my interest in the kampilan. It does not seem we see many here as a rule, and I wanted to thank Carlos for sharing it, and especially you guys for entering key observations and notes!

As a reader in this case, I am very grateful to have these key notes which attend to observations and explain the character of variations.

I am inclined to agree Ian on the character of the hilt, which indeed does not seem with the same age as the blade, but again, is fascinating in its design.
If I might ask for more thoughts on the blade from those of you who are keen collectors of these. Is it possible some of the staining which seems present could be from 'cosmoline' or the type of storage preservative
often seen on weapons of early 20th century and in military or arsenal context?
I was wondering if perhaps during occupation at close of Spanish-American War period perhaps old examples or blades might have been stored by Filipino forces, and this might have reentered the population at later date. Possibly the remount might have been designed specifically toward a more ceremonial or traditional role then.

Again, the 'kampilan' is a fascinating weapon form and I'd like to know about it's origins and history so I will open another thread on that topic so as not to detract from discussion on this great example here.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote