View Single Post
Old 14th June 2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
Thanks Gav,

Because of your Kelling Hall collection my interest was growing and growing. And when I got the little shield covered with coton, which is coming out of the depot of the Nijmeegs Volkenkundig museum, I decided to collect more Atjeh pieces...

The darker shield is also covered in cloth (from the frontside, the back is all gone and the ratan is only there).
It could be that the cloth was lighter in colour once, but got so dark because of dirt and dust??

I read somewhere that the cloth covering these peurises used to be red or black. But I can't recall in which book I read it.

Maurice
Your collections and history behind the items is fantastic Maurice, when something has a history attached, it does take on a whole new dimension and seeing your collection grow in the last 6 months with super quality and historically important items is facinating, keep them coming mate.
As I have found and others have noted these weapons of any type are under appreciated and under valued. Their form and function is beautiful.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote