View Single Post
Old 10th October 2009, 08:54 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

I really feel that we're getting a wee bit too speculative here.

Kulbuntet has given the name as pantjing klina, if we bring that into modern spelling it becomes pancing kelina.

Seems none of us have ever heard of pancing kelina.

Amuk Murugul suggests pancing keling.

I've checked further on keling --- wife has come home from the arisan --- and it appears there is an iwak keling, but she doesn't know what sort of fish it is, she only recognises the name.

So pancing keling might be valid.

I suggest we wait until Kulbuntet joins us again and tells us where he got the name from and the circumstances surrounding it. Even though we might have established a logical name, none of the references I've checked lists this pamor, and I myself have never heard of it.

I doubt that it is wise to go into Old Javanese. Pancing does occur in Old Javanese, and so does keling, but in Old Javanese Keling seems to be an alternate name for the Kingdom of Majapahit. Whilst kulina can refer to somebody of aristocratic descent, depending on context it can also refer to an ordinary village person; it seems there is a possibility kulina is in fact the root of kuli.

Amuk Murugul, you seem to be familiar with pamor pancing keling, may I ask from where do you know it? Before writing this post I rang a good friend in Solo who knows vastly more than I do --- in fact he knows vastly more than almost everybody --- and asked him if he knew this pamor, seems he hasn't heard of it either.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote