View Single Post
Old 27th October 2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Are we sure the blade is European? Locals everywhere put "European" markings, often mangled ones, on their blades. Likely, a matter of upping the price.
I am wondering whether squiggly markings here are not a local rendition of the "running wolf"....
Flavio

I took this description from Artzi's site.

The name ‘Firangi’ (Foreigner) was given to these swords in the 17 Century, as they were mounted with European (Foreign) blades, which were highly valued. Some blades were locally made in the European style. The blades were mounted on the ‘Khanda’ style hilt usually with the long spike extending from the pommel which allows the use of the sword as a two handed sword.

I does not really matter if the blade is locally made or European it is still considered a firangi style sword. You can find kaskara and tulwars with Euro blades that does not make it something else it is still a kaskara or a tulwar. It is very hard to tell the difference between Euro and good quailty local blades Indian smiths were highly skilled at their craft. I understand the semantics here with regard to blade origin but I think after careful study we must consider the general style the determining factor and not where the blade came from.

Lew

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 27th October 2006 at 04:57 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote