View Single Post
Old 5th August 2022, 02:25 PM   #6
Interested Party

Sorry to agree. It is a carpenters framing hatchet. I've owned a few. It is a much more common tool than the much more effective carpenters shaping hatchet which had a chisel type bevel on the blade and a symmetrically shaped head so that it could be flipped for a right or left hander. Both relics of time before power tools were common. I used both a lot working in areas without power before battery tools and very light portable generators. If you work much on old houses, you can see the marks of these on the framing members where material was "hogged out," removed rapidly and coarsely to make things fit.

I am going to slightly disagree, maybe more clarify MELEY's statement on this particular poll. It is a hammer head and a very effective one. The blade serves as a poll and really drives a nail. If you are in attentive you can lose your fingers. With this shape poll I would bet on pre-1950 manufacture. Look on old tool forums and you can find more info. There is proball a stamp on the side of the head under all the gunk.

Last edited by Interested Party; 5th August 2022 at 02:35 PM.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote