View Single Post
Old 30th August 2012, 03:10 AM   #26
trenchwarfare

Where were we...

My observations

From the top:

The first piece I'd guess, is post WWII. It has the little circle disigns, you often see from this era. From North Africa, to India. Hilt is ram's horn, and steel. Suede covered wood scabbard, with galvanized sheet metal fittings.

The second knife, looks to be old, with a plain wood handle. Nice patina, with a small amount of decoration. Several forging flaws. Military scabbard.

Number three, has an identical patina, and is also lightly decorated. Horn, and steel handle looks to be a fairly recent replacement. Military scabbard.

The blade on number four has an old looking patina, but also the unusual Indo Persian engraving. Hilt is horn, bone, and steel, and looks replaced. Scabbard is soft leather, over sheet metal.

The two on the right, are missing scabbards: The larger one, looks to be the newest, at less than 20 years old. Hilt is brass, ram, and steel. The smaller one, has the same patina, as the two in military scabbards. And is similarly decorated. Hilt is ram, and steel. It's missing the steel portion of the hilt, on the opposite side.

The hilt of the "orange" Choora, is made of ivory-celuloid. If made in the US, I'd say 1920-40. Elsewhere in the world, I don't know. Workmanship is good, but looks like production work.

The smaller one, does have an ivory hilt, and is very well made, and decorated. I think it is pretty old, and was made for someone of status.

The smallest one, is tourista all the way. Bone and brass handle, with the same little circles. Post WWII.

The grips on the light handled Pesh-kabz, are ram's horn, and were replaced, a very long time ago. Blade looks very old, with deep pitting. Some decoration on the spine. I believe it to be the oldest.

The dark handle, is horn, and has several repairs. Blade has the most pleasing patina, and has never been sharpened since it was made. I think it is very old, as well.

Well, that's my long winded observations, of an area I know next to nothing about.
Attached Images

trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote