View Single Post
Old 7th October 2006, 01:17 AM   #9
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valjhun

Tim, you're making history!
From now on., that would be the official term for books like Orez Perski, Islamic weapons,...

Well, I just recived the book and it took me two hours to go thru it. I've found it very fascinating reference. The most complete reference book on Persian arms. And yes, there is a lot to read....

God only knows when a similar book on ottoman arms will arise...

Exellent review Dr. Ann!
Oh, puleeezeeee! Not another snotty remark about Tirri's book. We had enough of those. His book was a personal account of his collection and most of those swords were far from unobtainable: very much meat and potatoes collector grade. Not "academic" and not pretending to be one: just what a beginning or mid-level collector is going to see and needs to recognize. Orez Perski is quite a good book, limited to Polish collections and very thorough in descriptions and background it intended to cover.
And, as to Ottoman arms... wait until Astvatsaturyan's book is translated into English. Exactly what a "weapon" book is supposed to be and written by highly experienced professional. I like her Caucasian one better, though.
Pity Tito broke up with the Russians otherwise your Russian would have been good enough to read these books in the original