View Single Post
Old 29th November 2017, 12:14 PM   #8
RobertGuy

Thank you all for the comments. I was sure that this was not wootz but I do have some experience of pattern welded blades and I think this is one. I do not think it is simply a decorative pattern on mono steel as my applying an etchant would have destroyed that rather than enhancing the pattern as it did. I take the point about the misuse of the term Damascus but in my defense it does seem to be in common use these days and I did try to indicate a difference by calling it "mechanical Damascus"

There is a current thread

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23381,

which shows a vastly superior true wootz blade which makes me very envious . (only green icon I could find ) It did cause me to look again at the hilts which appear very similar. Does this give any indication of age? Or have these hilts been fairly standard for a long period of time? What I am really asking is would it be correct to label my sword as a Syrian shamshir dating to early 18th century or is it likely to be later?
I have included some more photos which may help including on of the hilt before a spot of light cleaning.
Attached Images

RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote