Thread: Morocco dagger!
View Single Post
Old 9th July 2017, 08:58 AM   #15
motan

Hi rickystl,
Also not my area of collection, but I bought one recently and it was discussed on the forum (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22848) together with the subject of koummyas in general. I recommend you to read it because members of the forum have contributed examples and sources.

As for your koummya, it cerntainly looks like an authentic ethnographic item that has been used by its owner: the holes for the rings, the general wear of the surface and the signs of repeted re-sharpening of the blade. The type, in terms of general design is common and old-in fact, it is the same as the one I posted in the thread above.
The shape and quality of blade look good but are hard to judge due to grinding. The sign on the blade usually means imported blade (or trying to look like one). Blades have been imported from all over Europe (Italy, France, England, Germany and Spain), but I would guess this is a Spanish blade. I think that early 20th c. as Bob said is a good estimate, but it could be +\- 20 years.
All good, but this is not a dagger for the rich. In "better" ones, the whole front is plated with silver (or even made of solid silver), while in yours, onle small part appear to have be covered with silver.
In summary, old and genuine koummya, but also simple and with lots of wear.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote