Thread: ainu knife?
View Single Post
Old 16th July 2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well you hit the jackpot Arjan! I think the Ainu items are fascinating and seem to be among the most esoteric of ethnographic weapons. I have researched a little on them, and while hoping that one of our occasional visitors Dr. Peter Bleed will visit, I'll add what I can. He is very keen on these from what I understand, and has come in on a few discussions.

Your knife appears to be the Ainu form of knife, 'makiri', which comes in certain variations including forms distinctively used as carving tools. There are some which have a long iron blade with a wood block at the end, and are used for carving 'inaw' which are shaved sticks representing birds and used in prayer rituals.
The 'broken' end on this example is interesting and I wonder how it corresponds to the scabbard.

The Ainu seem to have been little known until the beginning of the last century, when representatives of these tribes were brought to the Louisiana Purchase Centennial in St. Louis in 1904. According to Fitzhigh and Dubreuil ("Ainu: Spirit of a Northern People", 1999) there were Ainu craftsmen on hand fashioning many of thier crafts, and many items were collected from this event.
As far as is known, the first description of the 'emush', the Ainu sword, was in "Sword and Same" (1700) by Arai Hakesuki. These swords are primarily ceremonial and imbued with spiritual powers, and most material culture of the Ainu, particularly weapons and implements are revered in this way. It is most interesting that the sash (emushat) which carries the sword and often these knives, is considered the most powerfully imbued item of all.

The Ainu are native to Hokkaido, the island north of Japan, and surrounding islands of the Kuriles. They are among the most fascinating anthropological groups associated with possible connections to early man in prehistoric contact with North America, and are believed to have carried on trade with American Indians of Alaska and the American Northwest in certain degrees, whether direct or via intermediary contact.

Tatyana, I have always heard much the same thing, that the swords were often obtained in thier trade with Japan. I am yet unclear on how accurate that is, and whether other sources would have provided blades for the swords. The blades for the knives were from trade contacts, and as far as I know they did not forge thier own blades.

While absolutely no expert on these Ainu items, I have long found them fascinating, and just gathered a few notes on hand.

Asomotif, these Ainu items have come up on so few occasions over many years, and invariably have come up with bizarre identifications, some almost laughable in imagination. In many cases I have seem them termed 'Korean', which is at least a reasonable attempt as these items are quite esoteric as well.

Extremely nice and most unique find Arjan!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote