View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:46 PM   #22
laEspadaAncha

Arrow

Hi Emanuel,

Of course they're not "all" kukris, I am by no means suggesting any and all forward-curved Indian blades should be labeled as such. I am very familiar with the ayudha katti in its recognized form (in the 3 1/2 years I've spent in country since 1997 have always been on the look out for one). The kora is another distinctive forward-curved blade that no one would mistake as a kukri derivative.

I would however - as has the author - consider the latter five examples illustrated in the right-hand column ("forward-angled") to share enough common characteristics to consider the existence of common influences in their respective origins. However, as mentioned in an earlier post, the 12th C. weapons depicted in the friezes at Halebidu (as well as the example I posted above) are IMHO distinctive enough to merit consideration of - as you and Nidhi have suggested - an independent origin. The 18th C. kukri illustrated here (similar in design to an early Indian kukri in my possession) seems to more closely match the kopis in form than the aforementioned katti depicted in Hoysala art.

Anyway, another great illustration... I would say, based on those forms, the sword shown in my earlier post more closely resembles the Hoysala example (as well as the swords shown in the friezes at Halebidu) than the 16th C. "flamboyant sword" in your illustration (aside from maybe the hilt treatment).

Speaking of which, the illustration you posted (as well as its source) is previously unknown to me and the first attempt at a documented typology of forward-curving Indian edged weapons I have seen - IMO, alone worth the price of admission... thanks for the same.

Regards,

Chris

ETA: I just realized your reference to the "flamboyant" sword was regarding the photo I had included in my previous post, and have edited my post to reflect this.

Last edited by laEspadaAncha; 4th March 2010 at 01:37 AM.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote