View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:41 PM   #14
laEspadaAncha

Arrow

Hi Nidhi,

The bichwa I mentioned was in reference to the second photograph you posted (of the piece from Bikaner armory) - not the first photograph of the ayudha katti in the frieze...

Thank you for taking the time to highlight the details of the katar (though as best as I can ascertain, the separation of the crossbars seems to be somewhat exaggerated in the overlay). I still don't see the level of detail in the frieze as do you or Jens, but as mentioned, I am surprised at the katar's rather diminutive size. I have a European-bladed example that dates to the 17th C., and am familiar with the 19th C. Rajastani forms, but the katar depicted in the frieze appears noticeably smaller than either. Of course, as hinted to throughout this thread, much can change over the course of several centuries...

I will look forward with anticipation to the photographs following your next visit to Shimoga.

Anyway, regarding this thread, I am most grateful to see others with an interest joining in the discussion...

So I'm still waiting to hear if you are based out of B'lore... if so, it would afford me the rare opportunity of treating you to California cuisine at one of my favorite B'lore restaurants. In fact, if you can name the restaurant, I'll treat you to a Kingfisher (what's another Rs. 300 charged for a Rs. 40 beer?) as well. I'll even give you a hint - it's off Museum Road...

Regards,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote