View Single Post
Old 7th May 2015, 08:32 AM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Good point, but don't think these observations will derail the thread as little further will develop concerning markings here. The idea was to determine if any connection to the distinct marking on this musket, using the marks on the analogous sword blade instances as examples.
Many times clues as to symbolism, purpose or meaning of marks and features on many weapons whether edged or firearms, are found in assorted material culture or items.
A mark occurring on a rug or coin might be informative in comparison to something seen on a particular weapon.....investigative research

Salaams Jim, Absolutely agreed and thank you for your post. I had hoped to engage with Mr Michael Blalock but I suspect he was very busy... The current gun mark and sword mark linkage are now firmly placed for future research ...and I hope some light can be thrown on the Algerian stamp or strike. Blade marks, stamps, design and strikes are very confusing particularly as the trend to copy European marks probably to indicate a superior blade seems to have been done a lot in Arabia ....though clearly some marks came with the great flood of weapons from centres like Solingen. Just the other day I saw an Omani Dancing Sword sporting the funny face moon and accompanying decoration and with a stud or dot at the tip but this was a played with sword from Muscat and totally flexible! It occured to me that swords with a simple cross often near the hilt at the throat were in fact of the make Algerian...and on non flexible blades. Thanks for your reply..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote