View Single Post
Old 5th May 2015, 04:43 PM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Excellent notes Ibrahiim!
It has always amazed me that with these wonderfully historic arms, all attention is focused on appearance, value, condition but the mere mention of markings is typically ignored. In my view, all aspects of a weapon should be equally attended.
It was interesting that your observations on that Algerian gun mark revealed striking similarities to those curious marks found on some of the blades on Red Sea swords.
Without directing too much attention to these markings on the blades, it would be interesting to know if anyone has more on those seen on this musket.

This one on the musket seems more pronounced and definable, while some of those others including the one shown by Mr. Blalock seem highly stylized, almost reminiscent of the 'twig' or similar marks from various trade blades.

Best regards,
Jim

Salaams Jim, It was a long time ago that I took up the problem of this sword and Gun mark and please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ttara+comments at post 176. I almost forgot what that problem was but it relates to swords with either that mark or a simplified cross appearing in Red Sea Areas sometimes rehilted on Omani Hilts but carrying this mark. Accordingly the mark is translated by Dom as meaning ...made by...(Amal)... and clearly with an Algerian link. I hope there is no derailment here as everyone can observe the amazing swordmark which is identical.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote