View Single Post
Old 18th July 2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Nando. Actually as I further continued my research on these mysterious letter grouping I found that such combinations were widely present in Italian blades, usually in repetitive groups of letters in linear fashion and often reversed or changed in the same combination on the other side. It seems with these, the idea of an acrostic would be defeated, though anagram tenuously remains. Even the idea of numeric equivilents would be compromised with these varying arrangements, so at this point we can only continue speculation.
As you point out, the 'O' seems strategically placed so most interesting. I know that on blades in India symbols and other devices seem to be placed in strategic places on blades, of course still unproven, but perhaps to strengthen at least in concept, that particular part of the blade.

It does seem clear that while arcane symbols are sometimes interpolated amid regular capital letters, it is curious as to which letters are selected to be redesigned. If only we could imagine what these guys were thinking!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote