View Single Post
Old 10th September 2006, 05:57 PM   #1
ausjulius

Default steel and iron weaponry of the american natives.........

ok , this one has realy been bugging me for some time..

along time ago while flipping through a book on native americans i came across a chapter on native metal work....
anyway one section caught my eye.. it was about iron ,and particulary steel weaponry and armor of a group of indians along the west coast of canada,

anyway from the pictures they showed the weaponry was rather sophisticated,, short dagger like . swords, and daggers and long knives, aswell as some armor and helmets,,,
the swords had a blade like the eairly roman daggers with a wedge shape , and were with many fullers,, the pommels of the swords had a spike proturding about 5 cm or so,, , the helmets had some sort of visor,,
it even showed sketched of the techniques used by the indians when fighting,...

is said the mijority of these bades were made form hardened steel of an unknown origin , as the blades were encountered when the english traders arrived,, there was a presumption they may have receved the ability from russian traders or others coming from the russian far east......???

anyway they were no simple knives shown, some had very intercate fullers in the blades , and the handles were very decorated....
i recall in the text it stated the natives developed in the 19th centuary a strange cult.. someting by the name of potash.. or something quite like the spelling..
which involved the destroying of ones possessions ,around the trading of some copper plates, which were viewed , by the local to have great value,...

anyway,, ive realy not been able to find anything on this...... nothing atall,
did i imagine it all?? can any of you people enlighten me on this topic???
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote