View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2016, 02:20 AM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Likhari.
I would like to join in welcoming you to the forum, and thank you for the kind compliments! I am honored to be included with those others you named and we are among many others here who also generously contribute to the enlightenments here.
As Jens has noted, we are all students in our shared fields of study, and here we continue to learn together.

This is a wonderful topic, and you have shared some great examples.
In the initial post, the second photo is an intriguing sword which seems to clearly reflect a British military officers gestalt. The hilt recalls the stirrup hilt forms of M1796 period, with a beautiful custom grip. The koftgari band on the blade is similar to an example I had some time ago.
It was a solid steel Persian style tulwar hilt (shamshir) but with the langets and quillon terminals of the Indo-Persian tulwar hilt.
The blade was that of a British M1788 light cavalry sabre, which had clearly been rehilted and a koftgari panel added at the forte.

These kinds of hybrids seem to have flourished in Deccani regions post Seringapatam and the opening years of the 19th century, and it would seem that perhaps this sword in your photos is another .

The carved ivory dual 'hayamukhi' (horseheads) is most unusual and amazing, and with the forte panel of Islamic script, this blade appears to be one of the well known Persian trade blades of first quarter to mid 19th c.

The carved tulwar hilt in ivory of Indo-Persian style has an interesting blade with all visible the diapered pattern forte.

I think there is so much to be learned from Indian weapons, as they are so deeply imbued with the cultures, religions and traditions of this most fascinating subcontinent. I am very grateful to have you join us here!!

Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote