View Single Post
Old 25th August 2010, 02:27 AM   #7
Antique Arsenal

Default More Maces, Clubs & Other

Hi guys,
Thanks for joining this discussion. Your input and examples are greatly appreciated. I agree with Lionzden the Indian flanged mace is amazing. So, congratulations to laEspadaAncha.
As was mentioned Vandoo many Horsetail standards were actually carried on a long stuff, others had an actual a socket so they can be put on a spear or pike. Finally where are examples which more resemble a mace? One of those examples I will show below.

Regarding the definitions of maces and clubs I have referred to a Big Dictionary of Weapons by B.G. Trubnikov. So, this is a rough translation:

Fighting Bat – It is a simplest type of a club. Consists of the handle and working part looking like knob or a nub. Both parts are solid.

Club – Simple cold weapon which look like a Fighting Bat but strengthened spikes or metal plates.

Mace – Simple percussion cold weapon. This weapon has heads of different shapes but most often it is circular or elliptical shape. Maces with stone heads appeared during the Neolithic period.

I hope this will help you to gain a better perspective on what is what.

OK. Now finally I can show you the items I have and I hope you guys can help me with them.

1st Item From My Personal Collection

This item I bought about 3-4 years ago from an old guy in upstate New York. I did do some research and consulted about it with one of the local antique shop sellers. What I found out is that this item is a Buncuk of 18th -19th Century. It belonged to an officer or chieftain who commanded either a 10, 100 or a 1000 people. I have been told that the origin of that item is Persian and that each face on the head of it represents something but nobody told me what. I hope you guys would shad some light on this issue.
The guy who I bought it from insisted that the handle is made out of human bone but I never believed him. It just seems to be highly unlikely. The handle is wrapped in fabric like strips with horse hear sticking out all around its perimeter. The head is hollow and made of metal likely to be brass or bronze. Please see the pictures below for more.
Attached Images

Antique Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote