View Single Post
Old 4th January 2017, 05:01 PM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you guys for continuing the discussion in accord with the redirected perspective attending to the fact that this helmet was apparantly labeled as a 19th century representation of a 16th century German Maximillian helmet in a sale.

As a research consultant here on our forum, my concerns are for the accurate and proper notations of examples posted here for discussion so that we might best discuss them accordingly. It is important to place as much information as possible, including any notes and descriptive data already known by the poster as these serve as the benchmark for the discussion. These discussions and the valuable material included in them become part of the comprehensive archives here which help us learn more on the subjects as well as serve as references used widely by other researchers.

Alan, thank you for the note, and I agree, from photos this helmet is pretty impressive, and with your expertise on these, I very much look forward to your more exact assessments when you can.

Jasper, I look forward to your notes as well, and would suggest that we mention the name of the auctioneer here privately only. I look forward to your assistance as well in noting what to look for in authentic examples of these helmets.

Tony, while you suggest you are not an 'expert', your observations are most astute. Thank you.

Marcus, thank you again for posting this helmet, it has given us a great opportunity to learn more on these historic examples, and how we can best recognize both authentic and reproductions, as well as perhaps the netherworld of period or working life composites.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 4th January 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote