View Single Post
Old 4th January 2017, 12:12 PM   #22
Marcus den toom

Hi Ulfberth,

Thank you for your responce, it is much valued. Do you have period armour pictures with more damages for comparison?

As to the auction, i have looked trough there auction archive prior to buying this piece and the only other noteworthy piece of armour was a fluted backplate which reached 10 times their estimate.
Other things like a replica wheellock pistol beeing dated by them as 16/17th century make me somewhat doubt there indebt knowledge, which in all respect is a hard enough.

We know of original pieces of arms and armour beeing molested to add more "colour" to such pieces... problem is that this happened by either people without true knowledge or respect for such items.. thus the colouring outside of the lines.

What i want to say with all of this is that we can not sollely date this helmet on these strange markings. I am far more interested in the construction, the patina inside, and if it is a victorian piece.. how they made it to look like this. Especially the leather strap pieces that are inside the helmet without disturbing the natural (?) patina.

Also does anyone know a way to date the iron, if possible?
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote