View Single Post
Old 8th April 2007, 03:19 PM   #12
Marc

I’m trying to get a hold of Nobre’s book, the only problem is that the editorial has his online shop built on a non-secure server. There’s no way I’m going to send my credit card details over such a connection. I contacted them, let’s see if we can work something out.

Speaking of which… I would also be interested, indeed, in getting “Homens Espadas e Tomates”, could we arrange something? If you have anything in mind, please, contact me via PM and we’ll see what can be done. In any event, thank you very much for your offer.

Regarding your comments…

Yes, I agree that the swords with the rounded quillion finials are exclusively Portugese, or from Portugese-controlled lands. But:

Quote:
the fifth picture in the above shown Antonio's page, a 1500's navigator sword, is quoted in Daehnhardt's book as being of Venetian origin
If you’re referring to this one:

I think it’s also Portugese, for what I can gather from the picture. It only lacks the rounded quillion finials, but there’s plenty of other elements, specially the proportions of the different elements, that relate it with the “colhona”. If Mr. Daehnhardt has any additional information that makes him believe otherwise, I would love to know it…

On the other hand, the last sword:

it’s indeed of a less specific type, possibly Iberian, from the Spanish kingdoms in Italy or from other Italian sources. Can’t be more specific without more data.

Quote:
Daehnhardt sugests that Portuguese influence extends from the Morocan Nimcha to the Cingalese Kastane.
Well, and I suggest that, here, the full extent of the word “influence” would then become the core of a much deep, long and intense debate…

By the way, thank you for the warning about the number of “colhonas” in Nobre’s book, but, to be sincere, I’m interested in everything it has to say about Portugese weapons in general. There’s so little written about them, and, If you ask me, it’s a bit fallacious to pretend to study “Spanish” weapons without at least being somewhat familiar with those of our closest neighbours

Thanks again, Fernando. A nice discussion.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote