View Single Post
Old 14th December 2021, 07:36 PM   #5
Garlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Garlot.

Welcome to the forum! Let us know if you have any problems navigating the site or with posting pictures, etc.

I'm thinking that you have a Syrian saif made in the last 30-40 years, but this is not my area of collecting and I defer to the opinions of our Eastern experts.

Ian.
Thanks! I've been following this forum for a while but I decided to join since I have begun starting a collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I agree with Ian.

In my opinion too, this is not a shamshir but a saif. But since names are rather relative, you can take this as you want.

In my opinion a shamshir has a long, narrow and very deeply curved blade of mostly triangular cross-section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamshir

Yours has a broader blade with a complex, fullered cross-section and a moderate curvature. I suspect the blade is of European origin (German/Prussian model 1811 Blucher ? or maybe even English pattern 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre ? ).

The hilt is very similar to the classic Persian hilts but not quite...
It may be Persian, but more likely Syrian. The wire wrapping of the hilt is less relevant as it probably has been added later to protect a damaged hilt.

PS: What material are the scales of the hilt made of? From the photos they appear to be resin.
I should have used saif considering that's the word I'd use in my arabic mother language, but from my limited knowledge saif in the collection world refers more to stuff like omani kattara and arabian nimchas, although I'm aware it just means sword and is used for everything from kilijis to kaskaras among arab speakers.

I've seen wire or chain wrappings on a lot of similar swords with a variety of hilts, from reading another thread I think they're a feature common among swords used within arabic areas in the middle east.

The seller has said the hilt is elephant ivory, is there a way to make sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
To me this looks like an Omani/East African saif. The way the silver wire is braided under the guard is characteristic. The floral motive in the guard also looks Omani. And while certain parts, like the pommel cap may be be replacements to the originals, it very much looks like a 19th century antique to me. What are the dimensions?

Teodor
89-90 cm with the hilt, 77 cm for only the blade, 3.3 cm wide, don't have a tool to measure the thickness but it's about 5 mm thick at the base and gets very thin at the end, maybe 2 mm.

Last edited by Garlot; 14th December 2021 at 10:33 PM.
Garlot is offline   Reply With Quote