View Single Post
Old 6th May 2023, 04:32 PM   #12
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post
Rick
1. Although a blade not fully seated in the hilt is shown in a catalogue, I don’t think we should accept that as an indicator of typical or correct practice. There have been many posts on this forum noting the lamentable errors of museum “experts”. This could be just another example.
....There Is one issue that I didn’t mention before because you said that you have seen examples. The guard on your hilt isn’t as wide as the base of the blade. In my modest collection of 25 gunong, every guard is noticeably wider than the base of the blade. The general consensus is that the gunong was initially intended a weapon of last resort worn hidden inside the blouse. As such, the base of the blade, if unprotected by the guard could potentially be rather uncomfortable against bare skin. I wonder if your blade couldn’t be fully seated because the hilt/ferrule/guard isn’t original to the blade.

2. I agree with you that separating epoxied components without damage is well nigh impossible and indicated such in my post but Interested Party seemed to feel that he had a way to do it so I encouraged him to do so and to let us know how he did it (because I certainly don’t know).

3. Interested Party,
I am sure that you could use stock removal to create a serpentine center ridge but could you do it with the equipment likely available to the person who fashioned your gunong? Even if the blade were made in the 20th century, that level of tool kit would most likely be beyond the means of the typical Philippine smith. And, even in the unlikely event the maker had the required equipment, could he use stock removal to profitably make serpentine blades? I think the most plausible scenario is that your blade was fashioned around a mandril in the traditional manner.

Sincerely,
RobT
1. Rob I agree with you that this could indicate replacement and believed this when I purchased the item as implied in the original post " I originally thought it might be a fragment of a broken kris and it was cheap so I picked it up." It wasn't until I started researching this post that I found the form was trend, complete with its oddities and flaws. See pictures below all from the first thread I referenced earlier called "My Philipine Gunong Collection". The photos are from gunongs of Ferguson, Ferguson via Sajen, Spunjer, and Rafngard. I hope these members will not mind my use of their photos. The idea that this style might be original and old came to mind when I saw a much fancier example fitted similarly on a commercial site. I started combing the reference material I could find, and the forum archives. It made me wish, yet again, that we had access to the discussions from the beginning of the group. This isn't a complaint just a wish, that fuels a fear that the more modern version of this forum and it's collected information may be lost as well someday. The published example in Krieger Plate 13, ex. 7 may have the same overhang. It is hard to tell with the pixelization of the photo. Some examples have had this corner filed off. The overhang would not have been an issue when carried in a blouse as the sheath would cover the spur. On the flip side one's hand slipped slightly while thrusting it would be uncomfortable. I would find the shape of the guard an irritant against bare skin as well as it would not lay flat without a very thick scabbard. This is a universal feature of this pattern.

All that said if this is a replacement, and all the other examples like it, it leads to the question of what were the style original fittings of this knife and all the similar examples?

2. I think given the thinness of the examples blade and its continuous taper to a fine edge I would have trouble removing this blade without damaging the temper. For slightly looser blades of beefier construction, I will attempt to slowly heat the blade with a torch to around 250 F wrap the blade in leather pad while wearing a welding glove try to work the hopefully softened epoxy lose. After those experiments I could evaluate this blade. The responses here are not filling me with confidence

3. Rob, I am not arguing that this blade was probably made using a mandrel as it is laminated, and the mandrel would be the easiest method if one has access to a forge. BUT I created a serpentine blade free hand at 13 with a bench grinder and my grandfather's advice. With what I have seen done with an angle grinder on Youtube I have no doubts that a Philippine worker could easily accomplish this task. As an adult I could do it with a file. Would it be profitable for me? No. For a rural person who makes a $1-3 a day and can sell this product on Ebay for $100 usd? Yes, it would be highly profitable even if their cut was only $20-40 for five days labor. The question I wonder is could one make this curve with a fully hardened drawknife type of tool? Once again, I'm not arguing the point, but this is a good topic for us to consider when we evaluate purchases.

Thanks for giving me a chance to get these ideas out of my head and into a public space to debate their validity.
IP
Attached Images

Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote