View Single Post
Old 4th June 2021, 03:19 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have been able to do a little more reading and retracking notes etc. as its been quite a few years.
According to Bernard Levine in his 1997 book, it appears that the original knife used by Bowie at the famed Vidalia sandbar fight was from his brother Rezin, and made by a guy known to them both named Jesse Clift.
The knife was described by Rezin in later years, and it was actually more like a butcher knife with wood grip, three rivets, blade about 9 1//4 " by 1 1/2" wide.
Apparently shortly after the sandbar fight, Bowie sent the knife to an actor friend. It remained in that family for years and eventually ended up in a well known collection .
In Levine's opinion this knife is credible.

The story with Black in Arkansas was greatly hyped and while he may have become active in producing 'versions' of the 'Bowie', he was not the one who made the original. As with most lore and legends it is hard to determine where truth and tales separate.

I also that the 'Arkansas toothpick' moniker was not actually differentiated between the types or forms, and was an 1840s term as has been described for these large knives and in fact was even emblazoned on many of the knives made in Sheffield.

I just wanted to clarify more of what I discovered to ensure transparency and try to get as much of the true history of these famous knives shared here.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote