View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2021, 04:14 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks so much for the responses guys!
Actually in my title for the thread, I was illustrating the affectionate term 'Arkansas toothpick' which became inextricably linked between the true Bowie knife and the double edged dagger also of large size contemporary to the evolving Bowie's.
The term of course was a hubris laden expression toward these formidable knives, and the deadly reputations of the men who used them.

Cap'n thank you so much for this excellent illustration of the 'coffin hilt'. I was remiss in not posting one myself, and this example shows exactly the style and shape which I was referring to. It is not at all surprising that these are so widely produced, as the form became so popularized in America, that it was much admired in many other countries as well.

The 'Bowie' knife itself is an American legend, an icon, and as often the case where such National pride is involved, it has evolved into an image which has become instantly recognized by most people aware of American history.
Naturally, the exact original form of Bowie's knife is unclear, as that knife was lost when Jim Bowie was murdered at the Alamo.
However, as I mentioned earlier, Bowie himself was legendary in these regions in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, and people faithfully implored James Black, to make them knives 'like Bowie's'.
As tenacious as it may be, we might presume that Black would indeed follow that design, which had become somewhat known popularly.
As a master knifemaker, we may also presume that Black would quite probably have embellished and improved from the original design. It is thought that Bowie possibly was given the option of two designs, but as with much of this, that notion is apocryphal.

Bowie and his brother Rezin were profoundly influenced by the knife fighting techniques learned in New Orleans from Spanish sailors, as well as French.
Undoubtedly the knives used by these sailors also influenced the brothers, and the knives, often navaja as well as other fixed blade knives often carried a distinctive 'notch' in the blade.
This has been often noted in knife lore as the 'Meditteranean notch', and it seems that it was added by Black to Bowie's knife and others he made.
The purpose of the notch has been much debated, but never, as far as I have known, been conclusively determined.

Naturally, the phrases, designs and other elements of Spanish knives would have been thoroughly transmitted to New Spain over the centuries of colonization, and into the eventual Republic of Mexico.

The portrait of Jim Bowie I posted is of course done in the style of the later 19th century CDV (carte de visite) photography of the Civil War period and after where subjects were posed with studio props . Most portraits of soldiers in these are holding Colt revolvers and Bowie knives in this manner, with obviously many exceptions, but those most commonly seen.
We cannot presume this 'refined' version of the Bowie, with the brass bar along the back etc. is the original knife or form, but it is consistent with the generally held image .
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote