View Single Post
Old 29th June 2010, 08:06 PM   #29
Tim Simmons

Default warning pictures are not of a weapon.

It is so hard to tell. As you can read in the link the amount of outsiders in this part of the world in the early 1920s was only circa 600. I myself feel the motif is a cross as in missionary influence but I am not an expert. Not all the peoples in the area put up resistance. This club could be late 19th century? it is probably best to just think of early 20th century. I could say it does not look old but then just look at items in the thread "Wallace Collection" and you can see old stuff can indeed look very recent .

I am going off at a tangent now and I hope it is okay with the moderators, it does fit the area of disscusion. So much of our interest here involves discovery. I found this whale tooth object early this year and thought it from the Solomons. Latter I found this stuff from "Pacific Encounters, Art and Divinity in Polynesia 1760-1860, Steven Hooper, the British Museum press" I have emailed CMAA pictures and ref number of the object in the CMAA "Cambridge University of Archeology and Anthropology" I have had no reply. As you now can scan harmful attachments from nutters I can only assume that recieving no reply is through institutional jealousy. I am now forced to seek information at some fancy auction house. My object is only 66mm long and only carved on one side, clearly a pendant.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 29th June 2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling!!!!!
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote