View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:51 PM   #34
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Yes precisely Sahara occidental, the Spanish part
and the sword that i posted yesterday is decorated like the Mukhala from the Agadir region...

Hi Kubur

You clearly know Morocco well, and Western Sahara certainly did receive its share of the Spanish arms and blades we are talking about. It very likely was an entrepot in which these blades might have been produced (hilted) with the local 'embellishments'. This one seems beautifully done in silver with that red stone (I dare not guess what it is) and a well done copy of these 'Cuban' swords. It does seem that often in such places, such 'other ranks' swords and otherwise 'common' swords were sometimes commissioned from artisans for ceremonial wear.

Such 'upgraded' weapons fashioned in 'the manner of' the arms well known were often commissioned it seems in this way by either officers or perhaps dignitaries and possibly in diplomatic cases. Such instances are evident in Egypt during the Condominium, Aden in Arabia, various stations in India etc.

The one you posted is surely an anomaly and I can only guess (as above) at the circumstances. Whatever the case, it sure makes the one I have and most I have seen pretty much 'ugly ducklings'!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote