View Single Post
Old 7th July 2016, 12:10 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It does seem that expounding on a specialized study of art, weapons or anything for that matter from a historical standpoint using philosophical approach can of course be frustrating as perspectives and ideas are exchanged. It gets far too deep as there are few boundaries or guidelines for subjectivity.
This kind of discussion could go on ad infinitum, without any sound addition to our understanding or knowledge on weapons here, though it is fascinating to see these studies in serious consideration.

I think a remarkable study in the analysis of history, in a wide range of applications, is "After the Fact: The Art of Historical Detection", by Davidson & Lytle, Knopf, 1982.

I think this discusses responsible and logical approaches to serious study of historical matters, whether tangible items or analysis of events or persons.
I think most of us recognize the need for cross checking and developing accurate and supported data as we study items. These methods need not be 'academic' as far as protocol, but primarily and simply common sense and prudent study.

An interesting topic, but not sure where it leads beyond attracting a lot of essays on the philosophy of studying arms, which seems a matter of personal preference.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote