View Single Post
Old 21st May 2006, 10:24 PM   #17
William.m

Hi guys,

Okay firstly in my opinion I believe that this is indeed an old blade, but has been recently buffed and sharpened. It is quite obvious that the blade has been sharpened and buffed while the blade was still attached to the hilt. This is because you can see where the polish stops just above the guard, and also the sharpening of the blade is very different when you get down to the guard where the style is different.

Also at the bottom of the blade the metal has a dark patina. Secondly the fuller is very shallow and dissipears in some areas, making me belive that the blade was overpolished even more. Adding to this, I can see the two cresent design at least six times on the blade, although one some it is very faint as too much metal has been removed. If you want I can put up some pictures of this.

In answer to a question, the cresent designs are all up near the top of the blade. In the first picture you can see it if you look carefully.

Anyways tomorrow if the weather is good I will give the blade a light acid wash, though there is no need to worry as I have done this before.

Thanks for all the info so far, keep them posts coming in !

Regards,
will
William.m is offline   Reply With Quote