View Single Post
Old 28th June 2007, 03:12 PM   #8
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
My trip to the National Library didnt yield anything WRT keris Jalak Sangu Tumpeng. However, a little information was found right under my nose in the compilation works of A.H. Hill in "The Keris and Other Malay Weapons" that the particular dapur was attributed ONLY to Mpu (Aria) Hanggareksa.

According to tutur tinular (unwritten folk lore), keris Jalak Sangu Tumpeng was commissioned by Ranggalawe who was both Singhasari & Majapahit nobleman.
Dear Penangsang,
According to an old Javanese book, "Panangguhing Duwung" (The Tangguh of Keris), King of Majapahit Prabu Brawijaya I commissioned keris with dapur of Jalak Sangutumpeng to Empu Hangga in Tapan in the Caka (Saka) year of 1303 or 1381 CE. (But this is confusing, because according to MC Ricklefs -- A History of Modern Indonesia Since c 1300 -- Brawijaya I or Kertawijaya reigned 1447-1451. There was discrepancy of more than 50 years...)

The Javanese text is as follows: "... Pandjenenganipoen nata Praboe Brawidjaja ingkang kapisan, ijasa dedamel, noeroen dedamel dapoer Djalaksangoetoempeng, kalijan dapoer Djalaksamelanggandring, saha dapoer Mangkoerat, toewin dapoer Mangkoenagara, ingkang damel Empoe Hangga ing Tapan, kala ing taoen tjandra-sangkala 1303.."

The translation, "His Majesty King Brawijaya the first, commissioned -- copying the dapur Jalak Sangutumpeng, and dapur Jalak Sumelang Gandring, dapur Mangkurat, and also dapur Mangkunagara. Was made by Empu Hangga from Tapan, in the Saka year of 1303..."

About who was Empu Hangga, the Javanese book told us that Empu Hangga was the grandson of the well known Pajajaran's Empu Marcukunda. Empu Hangga dwelled in Tapan.

During Majapahit era, Empu Hangga from Tapan changed name as Empu Singkir because of "wisik" (whispers) from the late Empu Anjani his grand-grand father, once in his dreaming.

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote