View Single Post
Old 24th June 2017, 06:29 PM   #15
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
Thanks for a very interesting observation as re mainsprings on "Brown Bess pattern" locks made for different markets. My limited experience with British regulation-style weapons makes this revelation news to me and despite this specific area being a tad off-topic from this thread, the gist of it may certainly apply to the current discussion.

The overall robust proportions, heavier mainsprings, and the emphasis on durability over mechanical refinement on North African firearms would come across as advantages of sort in a milieu in which the shooters tended to be nomads having to carry on in a state of material deprivation, far from access to skilled gunsmiths for maintenance and repairs. And perhaps being chronically short of good flints!

What is perhaps less obvious to us is why, despite the great skill exhibited in some Islamic cultures in making twist-forged and "damascus" barrels, and the love of showy ornamentation for the better pieces in practically all areas, that the overall standard of lock-making even on the luxe weapons of the pampered elite tended to be noticeably below what a European would consider even middling-good. It speaks volumes when you examine those war-trophy Ottoman guns of the 17th cent. converted to sporting weapons in Europe-- the only component considered worth saving was the barrel.
Hi Philip.

I believe your theory of "durability over mechanical refinement" is spot on. And all the physical evidence I've seen leads in that direction. And for the reasons you mention.
Yes, it does speak volumes that in the case of the Ottoman guns the barrel was considered the only item of value in the later use of sporing arms. Curious. Of course. the English and French have always prefered the use of the true flintlock over the miquelet. So this was probably also a factor. But you would think that with all the many years of lock use in the Ottomas and North Africa there would have been improvements in the mechanical refinements. But I guess things changed very slowly in that Region.

This lock refinement my be a subject for a new Thread? Don't know how many would be interested ? LOL. What do you think?

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote